What is baptism and is it important in the life of a Christian? Many well meaning, yet misinformed Christians will say that baptism is no longer required by God nor is it necessary for a victorious christian walk. On the other hand, some religious groups say that it is absolutely needed for salvation or for washing away of sins. Some sprinkle and others pour the water on the head. Some religions will baptize babies. Who is right?
The Bible has a different teaching on this subject. The doctrine of baptism according to Scripture is pretty clear.
- Baptism is included in the Great Commission – Matt. 28:18-19
- Sins are forgiven by belief in Christ rather than baptism. Some Biblical examples…..
1. The thief on the cross (Luke 23:42-43)
2. The Ethiopian eunuch’s baptism (Acts 8:35-37)
3. The jailer’s conversion (Acts 16:31)
4. Salvation is believing and confessing (Rom. 10:9)
5. Paul’s teaching about grace (Eph. 2:8-9)
3. A command from Jesus. (Matt. 28:18-19).
4. A public confession of our faith.
“Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” Mark 8:38; “Let the redeemed of the Lord say so” Ps. 107:2
5. A picture of salvation/new birth.
“Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3
6. An identification with the body of Christ.
“For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.” 1 Cor. 12:13
“One Lord, one faith, one baptism,” Eph. 4:5
7. A tangible way to declare for self/others that you follow Christ.
8. Declaration of belief in death/burial/resurrection of Christ.
“Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:” Rom. 6:4-5
Have you been baptized?
Have you been born again according to Scripture by trusting Jesus as your personal Savior for forgiveness of sins?
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Rom 10:13