By Richard Lodwick
Exodus 8:16-19 (KJB) And the LORD said unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Stretch out thy rod, and smite the dust of the land, that it may become lice throughout all the land of Egypt. 17 And they did so; for Aaron stretched out his hand with his rod, and smote the dust of the earth, and it became lice in man, and in beast; all the dust of the land became lice throughout all the land of Egypt. 18 And the magicians did so with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not: so there were lice upon man, and upon beast. 19 Then the magicians said unto Pharaoh, This is the finger of God: and Pharaoh’s heart was hardened, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said.
- How much dust/sand do you think there is in Egypt?
- Note the word “throughout” indicating the extent of the plague.
- Note “in man and beast”
- The “magicians” were all out of magic! I believe this indicates a turn in the direction of the plagues and God may have been saying, Now YOU guys are going to be embarrassed.
- V19, What a concession by the wise guys. THEY had more sense than Pharaoh did!
- There is no stated time limit on this one, AND it was without warning. (In such an hour as ye think not (Mt. 24:44, Lu. 12:40): as a thief in the night (1Thess. 5:2, 2Pet. 3:10)
- It’s not clear what god this one was against. It is suggested that it was against the priests.
- These little lice were extremely irritating and had a painful sting. Think of the head lice problem in school children and the connotations. If it was against the Egyptian idolatrous priesthood, it was of great humiliation.
They were noted for their outward purity. They were called the “Uab” or “pure ones.” Circumcised and with shaven head & bodies, they washed frequently (remember this as we look at the priests in the Tabernacle) and their prayers to the gods were predicated ON their cleanliness! In light of this plague, it is doubtful they could function as prayers were rendered ineffective by lack of PHYSICAL purity. I think of the Pharisees here! These lice were certainly unclean! (Where is Benny Hinn when you need him? Nice hair!)
They also were a group to be reckoned with in Egypt religiously, politically, & economically! (Pharisees again) They controlled Egypt to a great degree. Daily duties & functions are well documented. ….Every morning they would enter their Holy of holies (anything sounding familiar?), making sure the door was bolted. Then they would open the door inside and see the god who was supposed to have slept there overnight, in the shrine, and wake him (or her) & presents it with the various garments, including headdresses & insignia, and then proceed to dress him or her. (I didn’t make this up!) After the god had been dressed, he/she ate the first meal. Other meals followed. In the evening the opposite was done. Garments were removed, and it was put back in the shrine. While all of this was done there were also hymns sung & recited, AND there were professional dancers employed. I say again, it was from this that Israel was called… to worship the true and living God.
O, what we shall see in the Tabernacle study!!!